Did You Know?
…That the first of the Big Run Baptist Church’s buildings was a frame structure, built in the fall of 1849, shortly after the church was organized in 1848? It was 28 by 40 feet, and cost $1,000. (Their second building, a two-door brick structure built in 1871, is now the home of the Franklin Township Historical Society.)
We have no photos or drawings of the early church, but we do have a brief glimpse of its use, written by Harvey R. Mathews for the church’s 75th anniversary on Sunday, June 18, 1923: “In 1856, George Cochran organized a singing school, and carried it on successfully for some time, followed by Stephen Dungan who taught classes for several years. Lessons were given certain nights through the week and on Sunday night, excepting the regular church meeting night. (The church met one Sunday a month.)
“Finally, the trustees objected to classes being held on Sunday nights, but the school was welcome to the use of the church through the week as often as they wished to use it. They gave as a reason for their objections, that there was too much hilarity among the young people, considering, the sacredness of the day and the purpose for which the church was dedicated.”
— submitted by Sylvia Henricks